1961-1962 Cadillac Owners Group  

Go Back   1961-1962 Cadillac Owners Group > 1961-1962 Cadillac Message Board > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 AM

Default Full interior replacement ?

I just took my car in to two local interior shops to get prices on having my interior replaced. Mind you I am not going back original. My car has way too many mods to go back there. There is no way I will spend more on the interior than I paid for the car to begin with. I was quoted between 8 and 9 thousand dollars to do it ! Any thoughts of can anyone steer me in the direction of a vendor?
Old 01-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Skeg Master 62
Supporting Member

It sounds high to me! How shot is it? Are they going to rebuild the seats or just cover them? Are the door panels recoverable? You want to do part of it your self? Leather or vinyl? There are so many ways to go!
Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Skeg Master 2000
Supporting Member

I got a quote to do mine in leather and ultra suede.. doors, floor, seats, headliner, everything and it was $5000... I think (depending on what you get and materials) you could do it for $3000 to $5000
Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 AM

Hello. This is only about seats.
$8000+ can have two zeroes erased at a well stocked wreck yard, if you go with a measuring tape and a sketch with detailed dimensions of your car. Get a return policy if mind changes until final fit works.

I suggest to take a look at Caprices, and prepare a gallon of adrenaline. Another great transplant would be front buckets with built-in shoulder belts.

If the electric controls are also built-in on the seat side, even better, then you can use the arm rest original switches to control any inventions you may implement.

An extreme resource can be to peel off the upholstery leather from a suitable donor in great shape and have it refitted to your original seats, but much harder to find a good fit.
At any route, be prepared to spend many patience hours at the boneyards.

These are '91 Cadillac grey leather buckets :
----> http://www.61-62cadillacs.com/forums...&pictureid=422
----> http://www.61-62cadillacs.com/forums...&pictureid=423
Harder to find and install now, 87 Chrysler New Yorker Landau:
----> http://www.61-62cadillacs.com/forums...&pictureid=301
Many other choices depending on your imagination.
Now am ready for getting spanked.
Miguel
2000 LandRover -modified-

Last edited by Externet; 01-09-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:49 AM

My interior is just worn out. Seat cushions are turning to dust, Might be able to salvage the door panels but would rather replace them. Carpet needs to be replaced which is no biggie I can do that, and the headliner is gone. I also can handle re doing the dash myself. I would be fine with replacing the front seat from a donor car if necessary but don't know how I would approach a donor back seat from a different vehicle? I want to do the seats in vinyl if I have the originals re done. I do not mind doing any of the work myself since I have done everything else myself.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Skeg Master 62
Supporting Member

Some shop could redo the back seat to match the front. If the front was newer and in good condition.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Skeg Master 2000
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbenson32 View Post
I just took my car in to two local interior shops to get prices on having my interior replaced. Mind you I am not going back original. My car has way too many mods to go back there. There is no way I will spend more on the interior than I paid for the car to begin with. I was quoted between 8 and 9 thousand dollars to do it ! Any thoughts of can anyone steer me in the direction of a vendor?
Afraid of spending more on the car than the car cost to begin with? I think you may have found the wrong hobby!

Seriously, for an interior restoration to show quality, $8 - $9K is not at all excessive these days for a complete Cadillac interior.

It all depends upon the level of quality and originality you're going for and of course, the shop you choose. That said, homework will pay handsomely - so shop around until you find someone you're comfortable with. Even better, ask to see examples of his work if possible.

Since you're not looking for perfectly restored to original I'd think you could get a decent redo for significantly less - depending on what you're willing to accept.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Skeg Master 4000
Supporting Member

I sent my interior panels off for rebuilding. I also sent the wind lacing pieces and the head liner, so everything except the seats. It cost something like $2,200 and was done by an outfit in Oregon. It took around 6 months.

I just dyed the vinyl on my seats white and will eventually get the seats redone totally. I had the headliner installed locally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3782.jpg (88.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3742.jpg (97.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3851.jpg (93.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3863.jpg (91.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3857.jpg (80.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Skeg Master 4000
Supporting Member

Here is another photo. I haven't installed the A pillar cover when this photo was taken and I since dyed the dash pad too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3858.jpg (93.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Skeg Master 2000
Supporting Member

That's a very nice job for the money Dan!