1961-1962 Cadillac Owners Group  

Go Back   1961-1962 Cadillac Owners Group > Technical Information > Service, repair and modification tips

Old 08-03-2011, 05:19 PM

Default Window Frames

I was replacing rubber on the door frames. After I did the driver side I discovered that now the window no longer comes all the way up. When I open the door, wind up and then close, the seal is perfect. Apparently the motor does not have enough power to push the new seals. Well perhaps this will settle in over time.

So I check the other side and discover that this window frame is different. Here is piece of black plastic that guides the window. ALso the old rubber seal is different to my new part.

Does anybody which version is original ?

Thanks, Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WindowLeftsm.jpg (64.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg WindowRightsm.jpg (68.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Skeg Master 4000
Supporting Member
Registry Administrator

Both.

What youve got Eric is on one side a perfect rubber channel tip and on the other just the metal from inside of the rubber channel tip. The rubber gets hard and turns to dust leaving the metal inside ... The clip looking thing.

Your windows are laterally adjusted differently from each other from what your photos show. The wing window frame adjusts forward and back and at angles .... Looks like it may be back a bit on the one side .... They can be tough to get just right. Also the window can slant and pitch into different adjusted angles.

I hope my explaination is not too confusing.

.... Also convertible coupe and four doors all have different curves to the window frame tops. The conv and coupe would be the only interchange mistake that could be made.

Rf
" Nothin's Lackin' when your Cadillacin' "

Last edited by Rodfather; 08-03-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Skeg Master 3000
Supporting Member

OMG

By this we learn one should never take the windows out of his car.... at least not more than one at a time!

My own personal hell has been revealed to me.... and it consists of endless mounting hardware, infinitely adjustable in five dimensions....

"I entertain by picking fights, sell my soul by dropping names, oh it's full of nasty habits when the bitch gets back." -- Elton John, "The Bitch Is Back"
Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 AM
390 Club
Supporting Member

I removed the front and rear on my coupe the passenger side.. It was a JOB to get them to line up some what close. I'm not sure its a 100% correct but its closer than what I started with..

The passenger window. I had to replace the frame on the bottom of the window, The chrome frame it was badly rusted out. This started out as a replacement of the Power vent gear.. Then the back passenger window was very slow. to go up and down. I removed it to replace the motor.. and it turns out it just needed the tracks cleaned out. They need to have those tracks cleaned and lubed for the window to travel up and down. I'll probably start the drivers side this winter.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Skeg Master 4000
Supporting Member
Registry Administrator

They arent easy ... It is a job that takes Patience ... Eventually they get straight with a lot of standing back eyeballing opening and closing the door and re-adjusting ... Over and over and over
" Nothin's Lackin' when your Cadillacin' "

Old 08-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Skeg Master 61
Supporting Member

Now, I'm scared. My glass is all in a neat pile in the attic... I had to do it though because I have 2 minty fresh bottom channels that I won cheap earlier this year and I need to rechrome the others.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Skeg Master 4000
Supporting Member

When I put new weather strip in my car a few years ago I did the alignment thing first. I started with the vent window then worked my way back to the rear quarter window. Then I put the new rubber in and started over. It was way out initially. Got it really close in the end though. Like RF says it takes patience. Plan to spend a day at it. Take all of the inner interior panels off first. Take a break. Do some Yoga or have a beer, then have at 'er. Just don't expect once through to do it. The other thing is, make sure the doors are perfect first.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Skeg Master 3000
Supporting Member

Good gawd y'all, such serenity.... I have to get to Calgary and meet the Zen master himself - first the Lincoln diff conversion and then the eternal block sanding and then an entire day spent aligning windows in three dimensions. Dan I suppose you can crush cigarettes out on your arm without wincing, too!

"I entertain by picking fights, sell my soul by dropping names, oh it's full of nasty habits when the bitch gets back." -- Elton John, "The Bitch Is Back"
Old 08-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Skeg Master 4000
Supporting Member

Squared, anything but a Zen Master. Ask my wife and kids, the air coming out of the garage can get pretty blue at times. It takes real mental effort to get through some of the crazy things I do. There's times I just can't face it and have to give myself the old pep talk and get out there and make it happen. I don't do Yoga, can't even touch my toes, but I do like beer so option 2 works for me!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:15 PM

Ok, it seems its best not too touch the window alignment...
I'm not into zen
..unless I could get hold of the missing plastic piece?
I have not been able to locate this anywhere.
6deucecoupe by any chance?