1961-1962 Cadillac Owners Group  

Go Back   1961-1962 Cadillac Owners Group > Technical Information > Service, repair and modification tips

Old 05-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Supporting Member

Default Dropped Spindles

Hey Guys,

Does anybody know of anyone that makes dropped spindles for our rides or know of any OEM parts swapping from different makes or models to acheive the same result????

Jake
Old 05-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Supporting Member

i dont think so i havent seen anything
Old 05-06-2011, 02:02 AM
390 Club
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJake View Post
Hey Guys,

Does anybody know of anyone that makes dropped spindles for our rides or know of any OEM parts swapping from different makes or models to acheive the same result????

Jake
Yours is low enough already !!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Skeg Master 2000
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJake View Post
Hey Guys,

Jake
I know they make drop spindles for the 88-98 full size chevy trucks.... they were 5x5 also... wouldn't hurt looking in to
Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Skeg Master 61
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo View Post
I know they make drop spindles for the 88-98 full size chevy trucks.... they were 5x5 also... wouldn't hurt looking in to
I'd be very surprised if that bolted up. I've played with lowrider trucks for years and they can get pretty specific and the geometry isn't likely the same between the vehicles. I'm sure a conversion could be done with enough persisitence, but if they were out there, people would be using them to lay frame like the trucks. I would think something like an early 60's impala might be a better one to try. They got drop spindles for those all day and the suspension design is likely much more similar. I'd love to know if somebody comes up with something.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Skeg Master 2000
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themotherbrain View Post
I'd be very surprised if that bolted up. I've played with lowrider trucks for years and they can get pretty specific and the geometry isn't likely the same between the vehicles. I'm sure a conversion could be done with enough persisitence, but if they were out there, people would be using them to lay frame like the trucks. I would think something like an early 60's impala might be a better one to try. They got drop spindles for those all day and the suspension design is likely much more similar. I'd love to know if somebody comes up with something.
mine lays frame (and tranny crossmember) with the stock arms and spindles... had to notch the floor for the driveshaft though

sss.jpg
Old 05-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Skeg Master 61
Supporting Member

That's cool. In the shockwave install pics, it seems there is a little space, but I could be wrong. I actually hope there is some clearance because I've had a airline fail before while driving and you don't want to lay frame at 40mph or when you have to get it somewhere to fix it. Trust me. It REALLY sucks. If it does touch, I will put a stop in to keep it just off the ground. Thanks for the tip on the driveshaft. I didn't know I might need to notch the floor. How are you shocks set up? I take it you have a relocator kit?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Skeg Master 2000
Supporting Member

yessir... I had a shop around here redo the shock mounts...

I blew an airline doing 70mph... it pancaked immediately... sparks flying, etc and almost put me into the wall... I had to jack it up from the bumper, just to get it up high enough to get another jack on the frame... it was a major pain in the ass...

here's a link to another forum I'm on, and they bolted up 88-98 drop spindles on their 62 and did disc brakes at the same time
http://www.htownshowscene.com/showthread.php?t=956
Old 05-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Skeg Master 2000
Supporting Member

also, there's not a whole lot of room to run the exhaust w/out laying on it... my next thing is to notch the frame, or do some sort of nifty pass thru for the exhaust coming right from the manifold... that's the problem spot... lol

kinda like this frame
phone 289.jpg
Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Skeg Master 61
Supporting Member

How did they relocate them? Do you have steering clearance issues or is the frame notched? Got any pics? I've got the shockwaves because I didn't want to deal with that, but it doesn't hurt to know if I don't like them. I'll figure the exhaust out when the time comes. I'll be running dual so it should be a bit easier than the y pipe I would think. And that's cool about the 88 GM spindles, but I'd be interested to know just how well it rides and if there's excessive tire wear. I've seen some crazy looking "custom" stuff done, that sounds good in theory, but works like crap when applied. Is there any pics of the actual install?